Your latest order from Mr. Snuff, Toque, Rosinski, etc.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrumsAndBeer":t3bhzk2z said:
What, no Dholokia White? :?: :p
The Mr. Snuff description:

Not quite white, but very light tan, with the finest, driest grind I've ever experienced, this has to be the least "user friendly" snuff I've ever tried. A slight ammonia scent, backed up by a musty, sweaty, exotic, dried salty anchovy quality that has something of the fragrance of a crowd in a very hot, congested market place. If it sounds terrible, it isn't; it's fascinating, intensely stimulating and unique. The burn is very, very intense, but has more of a stinging quality than the warmer burn of the great Toasts, and is rather short lived. The nicotine hit comes on more quickly and massively than any tobacco product I've ever used--literally within seconds. The only way to take it in my experience is to take a very small pinch, and slowly raise it to your nostril while breathing as you normally would at rest. As your hand approaches your nose, you'll soon feel the snuff flying up your nostril--and you WILL feel it--long before your fingers reach your nose. The burn and nicotine rush of this snuff are like no others, but it's intensely rewarding once you get the hang of it. Somehow both agonizing and ecstatic, there's nothing else like it.
Sounds lovely.

Just placed an order for 8 small tins from Old Mill (once I get through 'em and decide the "best of the best," I guess I'll have to start stocking up on the larger tins).

Antebellum
Lambic
Greyhound
Tempete
Marlin Spike
Acadia
Evangeline
Yvette

Edit: I'm looking forward to all of 'em, but the new Antebellum sounds remarkable - I've been thinking about it since he announced it. Otherwise, I have VERY high hopes for Marlin Spike and Acadia...given what Chef Daniel does with the very complex snuffs with a lot of adjuncts, I can't WAIT to see what he does with blends where the complexity comes from the tobacco bill on its own.

I ordered several more tins from Chef (above).

We seem to go back and forth a bit about snuff, good whiskey, Oregon, and motorcycles.  He's been very friendly, is sending samples of things I've asked about every time now.  Just emailed me back after telling him I'm looking forward to his May menu and some stuff that's on deck (PVT (he said this year's will be the best yet), pistachio, etc), asking if I'm ok to wait, he'll send an early generous sample of Suzette if I send him back my thoughts.  He knows I'm a snuff virgin, but maybe that's what he is looking for.  

Not sure what I did to get so lucky, but I'm pretty excited about trying these.  

Ole English Toast 2015

Lambic

Yvette

Limoncello

Shandygaffe

Mojito 

Tennessee Toast

Equinox Spring 2015

Greyhound

Tempete 

Toast and Jelly

Evangeline

Cuba Libre 

Suzette 

Blackhorse":xzx5jmn8 said:
Just adjusted order to include Olde English 2015 Balkan.
I totally missed this earlier post. I thought you didn't do Latakia BH. ??

I found Black Velvet VERY smokey, to the point of it masking the other additives. And Daniel told me that Olde English is a Latakia bomb in comparison. :affraid:

To me...the difference between the experience of the Latakia when in a snuff as opposed to fired up in a pipe has been significant. Maybe it's the burning of it, not sure. But the few I've tried with Latakia, even if considered an "L bomb" by some has been about the same as smoking Dark Fired K...reduced smokiness, a less twangy sharp aspect, better all round. And the Orientals & Turkish on Olde English/Balkan also adjust it's overall nature to something that fits my persnickety pallette. lol

I know Daniel considers his deep choco/cherry creations to be the ones for night time contemplation, etc. (like Nocturne/Tempete/Rat Bastard) and they serve the purpose well no doubt...but for me they are the 'deep aros' of the snuff genre. As I generally prefer straight tobacco snuffs I've found that the deep and nuanced nature of Olde English/Balkan is far more in tune to something I would want to go along with a stout or whiskey neat under the stars or tucked into a cozy fire lit pub with a few friends. Very, very satisfying. But that's just me.

[Spock on]
Fascinating ...
[Spock off]

So it's the burning of the Latakia and the resulting compounds that you dislike as opposed to the tobacco itself. That's very interesting. To my olfactory system they are very close. Due perhaps to my lifelong allergies and accompanying rhinitis. Well that's another reason why we have so many different blends of tobacco, cigars, snuff, ice cream, etc.

Naw...I pretty much dislike the tobacco too. There are a very few blends that allow it to work...Samarra for one...a few Patton blends where it's really condimental. I don't know what it is. Hard to articulate...or maybe I just don't know.

Daniel just mailed small tins of:

Antebellum
Calypso
Limoncello
Pumpernickle Toast
Suzette
Toast & Jelly

:alien:

Melba's Toast and Shandygaff were otherwise occupied for the group photo.

DSCF0817-L.jpg

:affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

OM Jackpot!    

:santa:  :king:  :cheers:

Nice!

Has Daniel given you any insight into proper storage for his snuff? I always hesitate buying too much snuff because it's best fresh and all those little nuances degrade quickly.

Long story short - I had to ask him via e-mail.

It's now in a sealed (Snapware) container, in a bottom drawer of my fridge.

Another option was glass/SS containers. The oils/essences are somewhat volatile, and the idea is to keep it from dryness, heat, and light.

This was for "longer term storage", as I was concerned with the volume of my recent order. As I have no mentholated ones, I was not worried about the tins in the same container, and the chill (38*+/-) will prevent any scent crossover.

My snuff usage has doubled since Saturday :)lol!:), and I just got several bullets, etc. from a head shop for a trip to Florida.

Bought some Toque Chocolate, and some G&H Whisky and Kendal Brown for comparison. All solid "meh" to "do not want" ratings.

Baby vs bathwater time...or something.

There are lots of Kendal Browns out there. If you've not tried the Gawith Hogarth one (as opposed to the Sam Gawith one) that's the good one...I think. Wonderful straight tobacco flavors.

And BTW...NEVER buy anything in those plastic tap boxes...they always arrive 'pre dried out' and dead. A very few of the German or Dutch brands have a sort of decent tap box, but all of 'em dry out in a week fer sure!

Little plastic tap box = :evil:

Large tin of Suzette
Medium tins of Mint Julep, Limoncello, and Alpine.
Sample of Antebellum.