What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS LNF in a vintage Stanwell 1/4 bent dublin.
Danged old timers. Wasn't ODF I got but Orlik dark strong kentucky. But looking through my stash found a tin of HH Burley Flake that I forgot I had. Opened it to see if it needed dry time but looks okay. So that will be my first bowl tomorrow in honor of Paul.

CH in a Butz magnum full bent chimney billiard. Thinking about Paul of Burley. Have a couple of tins of HH old dark fired I scored from P&C on their sale. Think I will pop one open today and have it ready for a bowl tomorrow in honor of Paul's passing. I miss his posts and his insights not only about tobacco but life style in general. Hope for him that they have clay pipes and burley tobac in heaven.
Yeah, I think I'll fire up some H&H Smoky Mountain tomorrow morning.

My own blend called Darth VA-Tur in a Pete Meer.

Ice storm this morning put a half inch coating of ice on everything. Even the dog didn't want to be outside - took care of his business and then ran back into the house!

Now smoking the last of my stash of Wilke No. 1 in a 1979 smooth natural signed Rossi 1886 Hungarian 124 with an amber acrylic saddle stem.

Yeah, I think I'll fire up some H&H Smoky Mountain tomorrow morning.
Being a flake several reviews suggested fold and stuff pack would bring out more flavor but reviews on pipe used varied quite a bit. Suggestions for best pipe to use with H&H burley flake. I was thinking a nice deep cob but maybe a large bowled briar would be better. Advice?

R-107, no advice from here! How some ever, even though I've read and/or been told on many occasions that flake tobaccos smoke better in small-bowled pipes, I prefer larger-bowled ones!! I'll load a good ol' pot any day with flake tobacco; takes a match or three to get it going! After that it smokes smooth as silk!! Works for me!! FTRPLT

Part way through this bowl of Sutliff Walnut Match in an early smooth Radice Tiger Eye G medium bend bulldog with a bamboo-style carving on the shank with a two dot black acrylic stem.
Radice TigerEyeG_bulldog.jpg

Being a flake several reviews suggested fold and stuff pack would bring out more flavor but reviews on pipe used varied quite a bit. Suggestions for best pipe to use with H&H burley flake. I was thinking a nice deep cob but maybe a large bowled briar would be better. Advice?
Interesting that for Virginia flakes I like a tall narrow bowl but for Burley or dark-fired a larger bowl works better. I'm not sure why that is. Just be sure to put a good layer of kindling on top - enough to get a good cherry going.

One of my own experimental mixtures with middling results. Just proves blending is as much art as it is science. Based on nose and taste of a common creamy tapioca/bourbon undertone I thought C&D Pegasus and Wilke Commander would work together. I think it was the slight ginger note of the Pegasus retrohale that didn't play well with the Wilke. Anyway, that was my afternoon smoke, not bad, not great.

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and have about a third of a bowl left of Wilke High Hat in a 1990 Peterson Irish Second Hungarian natural with a tapered black vulcanite fish tail stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Peterson_Irish Second_Hungarian.jpg

I pulled out some FVF for later,,,maybe stuff it in a churchwarden.

Just finished smoking Peretti Cuban Mixture in an undated slight bent rusticated brown with a darker fumed top unbranded Micoli billiard with a white accented perpex ferrule, off center square shank and black vulcanite stem in the military mount style.
Micoli copy.jpg

Just finished smoking Peretti Cuban Mixture in an undated slight bent rusticated brown with a darker fumed top unbranded Micoli billiard with a white accented perpex ferrule, off center square shank and black vulcanite stem in the military mount style.
View attachment 832

Great googly moogly Jim, that is one helluva gnarly pipe!

😳

Cheers,

RR

Part way through this bowl of Sept. 2015 Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Now smoking Watch City Old Black Magic in a 1970s slight bend smooth Danish Sovereign XXX 309 with a flat front sitter with a black vulcanite stem.