What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half way through this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 2018 full bend smooth Terracotta Peterson XL315 System Standard military mount with a nickel cap and a flared black vulcanite p-lip stem. Fed the ferals, and Molly Danger.
Peterson_XL315_Terracotta.jpg

Moving on to Kendal Kentucky in a Vauen quarter bent billiard.

Watch City's Original Crumb Cut is not working out for me. No matter how I pack it or how much I dry it, I cannot get this stuff to take a light at all. Anybody that has smoked this blend successfully -- what am I doing wrong? Must be me, because other people seem to like it. I don't normally have issues packing and lighting cube cuts.
I find Deluxe Crumb Cut needs a few relights before it gets going, but I never have a problem with OCC. Try gravity packing and don't press down if you haven't tried that.

I find Deluxe Crumb Cut needs a few relights before it gets going, but I never have a problem with OCC. Try gravity packing and don't press down if you haven't tried that.
Yeah that's mostly what I've been doing, gravity filling and lighting up. I tried it fresh out of the bag, and with up to 6 hours of dry time, tried it in small bowls and larger bowls. It's been like trying to light small pebbles -- the Crumb Cut starts to get lit but just peters out even after several lighting attempts in succession. I can even torch the bowl until I start pulling hot air through the pipe and still not get it sufficiently lit. No troubles with other cube cuts in my cellar, so I don't know what's going on 🤷‍♂️

I'll take it on everyone else's word that it's a good tobacco, I suppose I just lack the particular competence to make it work for me.

Last edited:
Good Morning!
Starting the day with Tashkent in an Apple Diplomat along with coffee. Tonight is the last night forecast to go below 30° degrees overnight. That means the turkeys are moving to their hut tomorrow and the chicks will get their stall. It's also time to start some outdoor vegetables and dream of ripe freshly picked tomatoes!

@Ranger107, I find that GLP tobaccos are better about a week after they've been opened and had a pipes worth removed. I let that dry out and give it a taste test. I always dry out the tobacco and use a well rested (dry) cob. After smoking in a cob I ream and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel, clean the shank with a drill bit, and run an alcohol dipped pipe cleaner through the stem and swab out the shank and mortise, then one more twist with the drill bit. Four or five hours later they are ready to go. I clean three to six at a time assembly line style. If a cob won't dry it is probably because of a chemical humectant in the tobacco that was absorbed by the cob, and your body, and that's a good reason to change tobacco brands.

Man, we had some windy conditions yesterday! Wind blew down trees everywhere and many lost their power. Steady 20 mph winds with gusts up to 50 mph all day long. We had to wait an hour for a ranger to cut up a tree that fell in the road before we could get back to our cabin at the state park. Got home to find branches down in the yard and everything on my back deck was blown over and shingles blown off my shed. I'm smoking some Carter Hall in a Dunhill Shell apple.
Dunhill-Apple-002.jpg

Man, we had some windy conditions yesterday! Wind blew down trees everywhere and many lost their power. Steady 20 mph winds with gusts up to 50 mph all day long. We had to wait an hour for a ranger to cut up a tree that fell in the road before we could get back to our cabin at the state park. Got home to find branches down in the yard and everything on my back deck was blown over and shingles blown off my shed. I'm smoking some Carter Hall in a Dunhill Shell apple.
Dunhill-Apple-002.jpg
I heard they had tornados in Tennessee and Arkansas yesterday. Glad you didn't have too much damage.

Just got back from work, Smoking a Bari Wiking freehand with sweet Virginia and a Martinson k-cup. We had a windy rainy night here, I had no damage for a change. I did notice on my way to work this morning there were a lot of trees down. Its a windy 45 degrees here now,but the sun is shining!

Yeah that's mostly what I've been doing, gravity filling and lighting up. I tried it fresh out of the bag, and with up to 6 hours of dry time, tried it in small bowls and larger bowls. It's been like trying to light small pebbles -- the Crumb Cut starts to get lit but just peters out even after several lighting attempts in succession. I can even torch the bowl until I start pulling hot air through the pipe and still not get it sufficiently lit. No troubles with other cube cuts in my cellar, so I don't know what's going on 🤷‍♂️

I'll take it on everyone else's word that it's a good tobacco, I suppose I just lack the particular competence to make it work for me.
Try a smaller bowl, preferably one with an average width burning chamber like a billiard.

Sorry to hear some of our cousins, and in particular my fellow BoBs across the pond are having such terrible weather 😢. But without sounding like I'm gloating. Its a fantastically beautiful day here in old blighty. I wished you all had the same over there. Filling a Petersons Killarney XL90 with a hefty 3 pincher of Rattrays London Eye, for a relaxing smoke before a later than usual Sunday roast dinner. Stay safe over there my friends, and I hope the weather improves for those it effects.

Almost half way through this bowl of year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching the Braves-Nats game.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg