What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vizier in a black CAO brandy meerschaum. Trying my hand at roasting some more of that good Costa Rican coffee. Second crack! Colander.
20230626_152150.jpg

I have reviews of several others
I looked at TR. The three blends are made by C&D but had burley or were aromatic. A pipe smoking buddy brought me one of their bulk English blends that was ok, I'm not sure of the source.

Second crack! Colander.
I stop before the second crack to avoid bitterness.

I stop before the second crack to avoid bitterness.
This roast turned out brown with a little dark, same beans. That second crack follows the end of the first crack so quickly, I'll turn down the heat even more, maybe as soon as I hear the first crack, to draw out that last time of roasting.

I have been drinking literally a pot of Starbucks every day for months. I'd like to try a non bitter brew.

Now smoking year 2022 Watch City Blue Ridge Special in a straight smooth ebony post-WW2 LHS Sterncrest 91 bulldog with a sterling silver band, a diamond shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem.
LHS_Sterncrest 91_bulldog.jpg

Did a little snacking, and am going back to work with a bowl of Wilke Surbrug’s Golden Sceptre in a late 40s, early 50s straight black sandblasted Wagner British Thorn 495 (Comoy’s second) pot with a black vulcanite saddle stem. ce water and bergs is my drink.
 Wagner_pot.jpg

Now smoking year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a very much appreciated 1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09) with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Time to check on the ferals, and read baseball box scores.
Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09).jpg

A third of the way though this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. I'll probably end the day with this smoke.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

I'll turn down the heat even more, maybe as soon as I hear the first crack, to draw out that last time of roasting.
The temperature of the roasting vessel is very important, I set my rotisserie to 440° and roast for twenty minutes after it reaches temperature. There should be a sizable lag time between the first abd second crack. You can do a search for "coffee roast level chart" to get some visual ideas. I think Sweet Marias has some instruction pages, and you can search YouTube for info on your roasting method.

Good morning,
Starting my day with a Caminetto billiard with Stanwell vanilla and and a Martinson k-cup. I won a couple of tobacco auctions last night.
Charley, the best coffee beans I ever had are pure 100% Kona beans from Hawaii, very pricey!