What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am smoking year 2000 VaPer Three Nuns in a 1938 straight black grain relief Dunhill OX Shell bulldog with a silver band repair with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink.
Dunhill_1938_left.jpg

Singed, do you enjoy your Brigham pipe. I love my apple -sweet smoker.
WZ,

I've been looking at a Brigham apple on the net, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on the brand in general. I've never owned or smoked one, so I was looking for some experienced advice. Most of my pipes are Italian (Savs, Ascorti, Mastro Geppettos, a Caminetto, and a Brebbia). Your thoughts and opinions would be welcome.

Some love them. Others don’t. I tend to be in the former category. If you know how to refurbish them, eBay can be a good source for deals. That one was an absolute mess. Got it for $115. It is now perfect in every way. View attachment 16314
I once got an eBay Charatan Freehand Relief,
20240305_142752_compress99.jpg
Lane era Cutty shape that I paid very little for. It was splattered with dried paint, had a completely oxidized bit, and a cake so think you could only get a pencil into it; it was short of a miracle it hadn't split the bowl. It took a week, but a salt treatment, alcohol, reaming, and paint remover, but is a beautiful ring grain pipe.
WZ,

I've been looking at a Brigham apple on the net, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on the brand in general. I've never owned or smoked one, so I was looking for some experienced advice. Most of my pipes are Italian (Savs, Ascorti, Mastro Geppettos, a Caminetto, and a Brebbia). Your thoughts and opinions would be welcome.
Well, as I am sure you know, there is always an element of mystery in a sweet pipe. I have many of the pipes you named and a Sav is one of my hottest, bitter smokes - if it wasn't a beautiful Canadian I would have dumped it. I hadn't smoked my Brigham in a while, but got it out, put a new filter in it and it was a beautiful smoke. I can't remember the model (I'm in the mancave and it's in the house), but it's a smooth apple and it has a fill. I normally don't smoke a filtered pipe, but the cedar maybe helped the smoke. Based on that, I would say go for it.

Good Day!
I started the day with GLP Westminster in an Apple Diplomat and a fresh cup of coffee. After dealing with a text from a PITA neighbor I loaded a Pride with GLP Kensington to enjoy on a trip to BJ's, the local member only discount super store. Now that we're back, things are put away, and afternoon treats are passed out; I'm enjoying a Rob Roy filled with GLP Abingdon.

Singed, do you enjoy your Brigham pipe. I love my apple -sweet smoker.
I do. It is a very forgiving pipe, easy to smoke. Mine is a Voyageur, entry level, but it suits me better than some of my more expensive pipes. I honestly believe there is a symbiosis with some pipes. I enjoy my little SMS meer tomato in much the same way. They just feel right, no thought required for either of them.

Now smoking year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Almost a third of the way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a straight smooth medium brown pre-1920 straight Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple.jpg

Built a fire. Second round of snow coming. After dinner smoke. MB Virginia in my unknown maker bulldog with gold filigree and a Charatan DC bit that I fit to the pipe years ago. It's an antique I found in KCMO in the 70s. Dinner was
20240305_175937_compress34.jpg
Chicken in tomato sauce, green beans. My drink is Thomas Moore Cabranet finished bourbon.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm smoking year 2021 Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

Oriental Silk in my Rossi Canadian. The more I smoke some of these "blending" tobaccos ( Oriental Silk, Byzantium, Old Professor, Va Slices, Smooth Black & Gold) the less interest I have in the aros I use (Mark Twain, Casanova). Not to disparage aros, but they all have an artificial taste (of course) that has begun to turn me off, it is not the flavour they are infused with but something that sits in the background. I used to smoke MT all day at work, that will no longer be the case. H&H may be my new work-a-day blend, I can see why this codger blend has survived so long and I really look forward to trying more.

This pipe is great for flavour. Jim, thank-you again for your advice respecting pipes to "taste" tobacco. My Lumberman is a little big and becomes acrid towards the end of a bowl. In its defense, I rarely dry tobacco before I smoke although gurgling is a rarity when I smoke. Perhaps I'm overthinking this in my eagerness to learn more. It's hard to believe I'm finding these things out after smoking pipes for almost 35 years.

Attachments

• Rossi Rubino Antico Canadian 802.JPG
    Rossi Rubino Antico Canadian 802.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Rossi Lumberman  8824.jpg
    Rossi Lumberman 8824.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oriental Silk in my Rossi Canadian. The more I smoke some of these "blending" tobaccos ( Oriental Silk, Byzantium, Old Professor, Va Slices, Smooth Black & Gold) the less interest I have in the aros I use (Mark Twain, Casanova). Not to disparage aros, but they all have an artificial taste (of course) that has begun to turn me off, it is not the flavour they are infused with but something that sits in the background. I used to smoke MT all day at work, that will no longer be the case. H&H may be my new work-a-day blend, I can see why this codger blend has survived so long and I really look forward to trying more.

This pipe is great for flavour. Jim, thank-you again for your advice respecting pipes to "taste" tobacco. My Lumberman is a little big and becomes acrid towards the end of a bowl. In its defense, I rarely dry tobacco before I smoke although gurglinsh is a rarity when I smoke. Perhaps I'm overthinking this in my eagerness to learn more. It's hard to believe I'm finding these things out after smoking pipes for almost 35 years.
I'm happy to be of help, man. Try a loose pack, and don't tamp down any more than necessary when you smoke a pipe with that size bowl. It may make a difference to you.