What's with the ads?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only see one ad at the top bellow the BoB header and it's there before and after I log in. It's always been that way since I joined :twisted: MEH :twisted: :twisted:

Brewdude":1sgjw1fo said:
Yes, seeing ads even though I'm logged in. Haven't had this happen before until just now. WTF???

Cheers?

RR
Same here sir and said the same thing too but, probably loader. :fpalm:
God I hate ads, reminds of the days AOL and of dial up. :no:

Not a clue. I can only assume you guys are not running the AdBlock Plus add-on. You are right about being logged in, you should not see them. Forumotion may have been doing something to the servers yesterday.

If it's really all that bad, maybe all you folks that are bothered by them should PAY for using the Forum? :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":qvk9282p said:
If it's really all that bad, maybe all you folks that are bothered by them should PAY for using the Forum? :twisted: :twisted:
Catch me at the first of the month and let me know how much, always glad to support something I enjoy, even though your here.

Carlos":ncrrzkay said:
Not a clue.  I can only assume you guys are not running the AdBlock Plus add-on.
The what? (still confused by technology after being on-line for 22 years)

I didn't notice any ads when logged in until a few days ago. Ads were there until I installed Adblock Plus a few minutes ago. That did the trick even though I already had the IE popup blocker enabled.

It's not necessarily a sore point to have the ads, just that I was used to doing without them for all this time since I joined. And they seem to crowd in sometimes at the top and even change the colors of the forum thread headers, if that's the right term. Distracting to say the least.

Not sure if I can install these ad blockers some of you speak of. Just had a computer geek upgrade my OS and would have to defer to him to see if that could be accomplished.

In any case I'd be keen to lose the adverts.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ywxnuk9j said:
It's not necessarily a sore point to have the ads, just that I was used to doing without them for all this time since I joined. And they seem to crowd in sometimes at the top and even change the colors of the forum thread headers, if that's the right term. Distracting to say the least.

Not sure if I can install these ad blockers some of you speak of. Just had a computer geek upgrade my OS and would have to defer to him to see if that could be accomplished.

Cheers,

RR
BD, Don't use Ad Blocker if your running Firefox, it uses too much memory on some PC's and led to my problem of not being able to see most members avatars. And most other ad blockers are junk. I'm afraid we'll just have to deal with the cockamamie ads. :suspect:

Cartaphilus":q6msmqcz said:
Brewdude":q6msmqcz said:

Cheers,

RR
BD, Don't use Ad Blocker if your running Firefox, it uses too much memory on some PC's and led to my problem of not being able to see most members avatars. And most other ad blockers are junk. I'm afraid we'll just have to deal with the cockamamie ads. :suspect:
Thanks for the intel Ron.

Cheers,

RR

I've logged out then back in and still see them. Is this going to be fixed any time soon?

I haven't changed my pc settings and it sounds as though others haven't either. That many of us are now seeing the ads suggests that something has changed on the forum. I'm not too sure how this forum is administrated, but if there had been a significant change like this should we not have recieved a 'heads up'. I understand the forum is free and is a superb community to be a part of, but for me these ads tarnish the experience and detract from the personal nature of the forum that I have come to enjoy so much. I for one would like to see them go...

desertpiper":7jnhk5yu said:
Is this going to be fixed any time soon?

Just wanted to point out that the addition of the adverts seems to be slowing the download times of the threads on my end. What can be done to eliminate them altogether?

From what I've gathered the adblocker seems to create more problems.

Is there anything that can be done?

Cheers,

RR

Ok. It is quite possible that we are talking about two very different kinds of advertising. One is the ads on the website. Those should not be visible if you are logged in. Clean your cache if you do see them and log in again.

Google has been my favorite search engine. But lately they and other search engines are at war. They are taking over your browser and filling your screens with lots of ads. Perhaps in a row across the bottom. Or allowing in some malware that is popping up ads all over. This is probably what you are complaining about. I have a fairly new Windows 8.1 machine that I am struggling to keep free of that crap. It's my hamshack computer and does some Internet surfing. But the latest updates of various software and other crap is changing, or offering to change my search engines. And a malware bug also got though the net. It just wanted to flood me with ads. A pain in the ass is what it was.

I wish I could run Linux on all my machines. But even there, they have been trying to change my search engines to let in more ads.

So take a good look at what you are complaining about. It's probably not the Forumotion website.

Carlos":0pdg6rxl said:
Ok.  It is quite possible that we are talking about two very different kinds of advertising.  One is the ads on the website.  Those should not be visible if you are logged in.  Clean your cache if you do see them and log in again.
The ads I see are exacty in the same place & type as the ads I see when I'm not logged in.
Ad blocker is turned on on my work computer.
Cache cleaned out.

Ads still appearing.

This is what we're seeing Carlos. This is just one of the ads as it changes.

Curious. The only way I could see that ad, or the banner, as it changes. Was to log out and kill Adblock Plus. I then logged back in and it disappeared even with Adblock Plus off. That is the way it is supposed to work.

I checked the main admin screen dealing with ads and it is set to limit ads. Guests see them.

If you are seeing them, it is something in your browser that is allowing them though. Emptying cache has always been the standard fix. I will try to replicate this problem when I am in the hamshack on the Windows machine and see if I can figure it out. But it's gonna take time.