What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you liked it, man. It was fun.
Jim, I watched it and really enjoyed all the stories and pipe content. Your energy level is amazing! We have an Altoona, PA connection, as my grandmother was born there, and my great grandfather, a railroad blacksmith, is buried there.

Time for a quick break from serving tea and snacks, so I'm loading up a MMCC Mark Twain, much to the amusement of a few villagers, who are starting to call me "grandpa clampett", as you can imagine corn cob pipes are not normally seen in Britain 🤣.
Anyway filling it with Rangers superb Urban Cowboy, then back to Zippo's Café. Enjoy your day my friends.
Oh yes!. Jim I've saved that link, and I'm looking forward to watching it when time permits.

What an amazing interview! I think that was the single longest thing I have ever watched on YouTube that was not an actual movie.

Honestly, I was never really a "fan" of comics in the true sense of the word, I was more a casual reader. I did have a collection of various super hero comics, just in case ;-) but I mostly enjoyed things like: Ritchie Rich, Archie, Scrooge McDuck/Donald/Nephews/etc, Casper, Sad Sack, Popeye, and of course Mad Magazine, the only one I to which had a subscription. So I never saw myself as a "serious comic book guy" because I wasn't into the action stories. So I really appreciate your mention of humor comics. I feel vindicated at last!

The character of many of the stories you told remind me of some that I've heard related in the one fandom that I am deeply involved in, which is board gaming. The larger hobby, which goes beyond strictly board games, in my mind started with Avalon Hill and their war games, which got their start as a company in 1958, in parallel was 3M Company's foray into games with their "Bookshelf" series, then flowing into Dungeons and Dragons in the 70's (Gary Gygax designed at least one war game for Avalon Hill), then to Magic: The Gathering, then the 'German game craze,' which persists under many descriptive terms to this day.

That hobby, while not reaching back as far in time, nor having as wide an audience, has the same problem of the great stories of the 'old days' being lost to the cemeteries. We've got one guy in particular that has purposely sought out the living 'greats' and got them on record on his podcast, and it's a treasure. I so appreciate your work even though I'm not your core audience. I do want to see an interview where we find out more about you! I have a feeling it would turn into a tobacco review show, though, lol. Not that that would be bad!

Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Watching the Braves-Phillies game. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

What an amazing interview! I think that was the single longest thing I have ever watched on YouTube that was not an actual movie.

Honestly, I was never really a "fan" of comics in the true sense of the word, I was more a casual reader. I did have a collection of various super hero comics, just in case ;-) but I mostly enjoyed things like: Ritchie Rich, Archie, Scrooge McDuck/Donald/Nephews/etc, Casper, Sad Sack, Popeye, and of course Mad Magazine, the only one I to which had a subscription. So I never saw myself as a "serious comic book guy" because I wasn't into the action stories. So I really appreciate your mention of humor comics. I feel vindicated at last!

The character of many of the stories you told remind me of some that I've heard related in the one fandom that I am deeply involved in, which is board gaming. The larger hobby, which goes beyond strictly board games, in my mind started with Avalon Hill and their war games, which got their start as a company in 1958, in parallel was 3M Company's foray into games with their "Bookshelf" series, then flowing into Dungeons and Dragons in the 70's (Gary Gygax designed at least one war game for Avalon Hill), then to Magic: The Gathering, then the 'German game craze,' which persists under many descriptive terms to this day.

That hobby, while not reaching back as far in time, nor having as wide an audience, has the same problem of the great stories of the 'old days' being lost to the cemeteries. We've got one guy in particular that has purposely sought out the living 'greats' and got them on record on his podcast, and it's a treasure. I so appreciate your work even though I'm not your core audience. I do want to see an interview where we find out more about you! I have a feeling it would turn into a tobacco review show, though, lol. Not that that would be bad!
Thanks a bunch, man. Bill was surprised by the tobacco talk since it was supposed to be all comics, but I figured that fellow pipers wanted to hear a little bit about it, and those who don't smoke a pipe, but tuned in to see me, learned something new. Bill did comment that I hardly said anything about myself even though I thought I did.

Jim, I watched it and really enjoyed all the stories and pipe content. Your energy level is amazing! We have an Altoona, PA connection, as my grandmother was born there, and my great grandfather, a railroad blacksmith, is buried there.
I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad to learn about our Altoona connection.

C&D Steamworks in a Peterson rusticated standard system 302 with water. I picked this blend for the flavor, of course, but it burns so well without relights and stays lit even when put down. This all at normal tin moisture. I wish other blends did this, and that I understood what makes it happen with this one.

Been heavy rain all day here in Ye not so merry England, which has made the clear up of my village very difficult. But the cars that had floated down the high street, causing so much damage, have finally been cleared from shop fronts, and my friends living room. And more sand bags have been put in place. Making the high street look like a 1st world war trench.
But spirits are high, helped I'm sure by the local pub, which is holding a fund raiser tonight, where drinks will be free, and donated by the local brewery 😁.
So while I'm sitting in front of our open fire, getting warmed up. I'm filling the bowl of a Petersons Atlantic rusticated bent billiard with a large 3 pincher of St. Bruno. I hope your all having an awesome day my friends 😊

Good afternoon BoBs. Back from riding and running a bunch of errands. Having Arango Balkan Supreme in a Bari Wiking freehand bent dublin acquired from EZ. Nice pipe, good smoker, and it's huge. Holds a bunch of tobacco. Only negative is the weight. No clinching this big boy unless your dentures are glued in, lol. Only smoke it when I can relax and do nothing else.

First bowl of country squire's Delta Honeydew, a little more aromatic than I was expecting but it's still a very tasty virginia.

Smoked in a BR dublin I picked up recently, had to sand about 6 inches off either side of the bit to make it smokable lol! It was about as wide as a bic when I got it.
20230920_185422.jpg

While I was away from the forum: enjoyed a twelve inch pastrami sub, a twelve inch Itailian sub, two half pickles and a small bag of chips lunch with a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert. For m'lady's birthday, we went to UNC to meet up with her cousin, his wife and two daughters for dinner. I had a three quarter pound cheeseburger, a big batch of fries, a quart of three different B&J ice creams, and then had a two slices of cheese pizza. Then we enjoyed a wonderful symphony by the Philadelphia Orchestra followed by freshly made mixed berry pie. Somehow, I managed to get in a couple of smokes: year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

And I just finished smoking year 2020 Peter Heinrichs Golden Sliced in a pre-1940s straight smooth brown Sutliff St. James (Comoy’s) spiral billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Comoy's_Sutliff_SJ_Spiral.jpg