What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning my friends. My perfect way to start a Sunday. My own Round Up in the huge Don Carlos bent dublin with cowboy coffee. Took the doggies out to do their business and wifey is feeding them so I have some time to just sit and contemplate with my 2nd mug of coffee. Have a Legion Riders trek over to the Cottonwood post later this morning for our monthly pool tournament. Should be up to 60 by then so will be a good ride. The quail covey showed up early today.

Attachments

• 20240218_081859.jpg
    20240218_081859.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Kind of forgot but of my 8 great grandparents 3 were English. I am 1/2 English, 1/4 Scotch, and 1/4 Irish.
My birth mother was mainly English with a touch of Irish, my father was Danish, Swedish with a touch of French and Scot. My mother's family, the Brewer's emigrated to Boston in the early 1600's. I guess that's where my fascination with fermentation comes from!

Half my heritage is Dutch, the other half is a conglomeration of English and German, three generations back. Mom and Dad were both Canadian from birth, as were both my Gandmothers. One Grandfather was from the Netherlands, the other from Britain.

Settled on MT in the Cobbler again this morning, a comfortable combination that smokes long enough to imbibe a small pot of coffee.

Attachments

• Cobbler.jpg
    Cobbler.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for responding Jim. I enjoy your content and your reviews. I've been reading them since I started smoking a pipe. I'll have to try Three Sails and D and R tobacco. I thought those two were unflavored high quality cigarette tobacco. Very interesting. When my wife smoked cigarettes I bought her a rolling machine and Buglar tobacco. To my surprise it was made by Lane, Tucker. GA, before they moved. I smoked that in my pipe a few times while waiting for my tub of Prince Albert to arrive, of course this was before I bought a case of PA lol. To be honest, it wasn't bad! Smoked like a regular unflavored burley blend.
While some D&R blends can be used for cigarettes, which I don't smoke, all of them are suitable for the pipe. Some are are made for a pipe only. Three Sails, Penhooker and Penhooker Silver are double duty products, but I enjoy their high citrus content. Windsail is just a durn good straight Va. smoke.

If you want a burley blend with a little strength, try Two Timer and Two Timer Gold.

Enjoyed a tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast with unsalted peanuts and a golden delicious apple on the side. I've passed the first third of this bowl of year 2001 Murray’s Dunhill Navy Rolls in a very early Ascorti straight New Dear KS billiard with a smooth shank with a black acrylic stem. Have enough left for a couple more bowls. Gold Star Gourmet Blend, neat, is my drink. Got three KBV blends to review.
Ascorti_NewDearKS_billiard_smooth.jpg

@William Ziegler I love the reversal of the unfinished plateau on that Savinelli. It's almost as though the pipe has a beard.

I like the simplicity of that pipe tool as well, and it's much more stylish than a pipe-nail.
I have a red sandblast Autograph that's similar with the bark on the bottom. This one fits in the hand beautifully. The tamper is old, too. I have many, but haven't seen one like it in a long time.

Just finished smoking year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Just finished smoking year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
View attachment 15808
Jim, I am sure you've told the story of getting this pipe many times, but for my enlightenment I'd love to hear the story. I know Wm. Conrad was a Charatan fan. I have a number of Lane Era Charatans and I, too, have always loved them. One of my Executives.
20240213_201015.jpg